Sunday, 22 January 2012

Good morning and happy Sunday…
Our daughter Jessica accompanied Pat & I to new movie release, “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close” on Friday.  Tom Hanks & Sandra Bullock headline this pic but movie son, Thomas Horn actually stars…This is one of those ‘Thought’ movies for me.  Pat and I were in the 7/10 range while Jessica struggled with a 5/10.  Although the movie hints of the 9-11 theme it really centers around their autistic sons struggles in the aftermath of the event.   His incredible planning, discipline and unwavering resolve to unlock the mystery surrounding the mysterious key found in his dad’s belongings serve to high-lite the movie.  There are a number of excellent point s to ponder in this movie especially dad (Tom Hanks) wonderful handling of his autistic son!
I see Airdrietown’s ATB satellite  bank is now open south of the Co-op Store…
…and from the 60’s, Robert Crumb was a pioneer in underground cartooning.  Some of you may remember his ZAP, WEIRDO or FRITZ THE CAT epics.  His theory, “To draw from life is to learn about life” always seemed to make sense.  I recently read where he is now living in the South of France in a house he acquired for SEVERAL NOTEBOOKS of his!  Better get drawing…
Although I’ve used Benjamin Moore’s paints in our Painting Business for years, I was pleasantly surprised to see Cloverdale paints in the Kingsland Commercial district, south of No Frills.  Cloverdale is a good alternative but I better pay more attention to our local newspapers as I’ve seen no advertising for them.
I’ve been reading Randy Bachman’s, “Vinyl Tap Stories” recently and I was amazed at his recollection of Canada’s (Winnipeg) famous jazz musician Lenny Breau…”Lenny was truly a music guy.  He could barely read or write.  He couldn’t even balance his cheque book.  But he would practice his guitar 15 to 16 hours a day.  He just played guitar all day because he wanted to master it all.  Lenny started playing guitar at age 7 and left school at age 10.  All he wanted to do was play guitar and so his parents let him quit.”  Now that’s PASSION!  The book is a good read too by the way…
I was recently listening to Alison Armstrong’s perspective on the topic of ‘Men and their deservedness’…She claims that a man basically takes all the good they’ve done in their life and subtracts all the harm that they haven’t FORGIVEN themselves for and the remainder is their deservedness  allowances.  If their harm (that they haven’t forgiven themselves for) is greater than their perceived good done…then they have troubles with deserving and they won’t ask for what they need.   Hm, maybe she’s onto something there…have a great Sunday, see you next week!

2 comments:

  1. Trent -

    It is great to see you posting thoughts in a forum which allows a more detailed discussion. Congratulations on this achievement. You have raised some significant food for thought, and in the interest of stimulating debate, I offer the following comment. In the meantime, keep up the good work.

    Tom Hanks - Thanks for the movie review, and audience ratings. I am a big fan of Tom Hanks, but not all of his movies appeal to me, because the content or subject is too dark. Having said that, he is one class act.

    Alison Armstrong - I am not familiar with Alison Armstrong's point of view. I was prompted to wonder, if she is addressing the psychology of men only whether there is some correlative personality trait in women? Inquiring minds want to know.

    And, to further my thoughts about Alison, I'm struck that after all the hoopla about women's studies at virtually every Canadian University, there is no corresponding department of men's studies. For example:

    http://arts.ucalgary.ca/departments-programs/womens-studies

    For forty years the feminists had told men that they cannot speak for women, and now we have a woman who claims to understand men. I'm a little bemused, and not quite convinced. This is her website, and I'm more than a tad amused at the domain name:

    http://understandmen.com/

    The loss of male role models in the Western Democracies, with the feminization of education for boys (which has chiefly been reported on by women - after the fact, as men's opinions over the decades have been dismissed on this subject), has changed our society vastly. What the repercussions will be is not yet clear. For one study on this effect, see:

    http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/search/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=EJ880889&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=EJ880889

    Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. I look forward to further enlightenment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Jim for taking the time and interest in my Blog. Thankyou for your comments and yes, Alison does have a 'female' perspective regarding deservedness...The Blog itself is was a stretch for me in more than a few ways...and now that I seem to have it started I'll be setting a few plans for it and using this to springboard through many other 'self imposed' barriers in the future! Thanks again for your comments and 'Posts', O'Adventurous one!

    ReplyDelete